Hello friends, I’ve been sitting with a strong desire to write about our current political climate and why this day feels so important to me. And before I decide what I want to share and how I want to share it, I thought I’d give myself a minute (or a few days) to sit and be gentle with myself; feel the feelings and come back to my experience from a place of kindness, curiosity and love. In that spirit of patience and gentle, self-care, I decided the best thing I could today, was to share some food with you. Because food is good and nourishing and warm. And I think that there are quite a few of us out there, right now, who could use a big bowl of that.
With tenderness, gentleness and love from my kitchen to yours. . .Amber
Download coconut-curry-veggie-soup recipe to your desktop or check it out here:
Coconut Curry Veggie Soup:
Serves up to 8 and is also great to freeze half for another day.
Get these. . .
2 cups vegetable broth
3 Tbsp. Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp. + Curry Powder
1 Tbsp. + Garam Masala
¾ Tbsp. + Turmeric
½ Tbsp. Cumin
¼ – ½ tsp. Chili Flakes
3-5 cloves Garlic roughly chopped
1” piece grated Ginger
1 medium Sweet Onion thinly sliced
1 Green Pepper thinly sliced
2-3 large or 4-5 small Sweet Potatoes cut in to 1” cubes
2 tsp. + Salt
½ tsp. Pepper
1 can of Chickpeas drained
1 can of Lite Coconut Milk (don’t forget to shake it first!)
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp. natural sweetener of your choice (I used raw sugar . You could use that or maple syrup or honey or?)
½ large or 1 small zucchini shredded
1 medium carrot shredded
(optional) plain yogurt
And now do this. . .
- Add 1.5 cups veggie broth to crock pot set on high heat.
- Heat coconut oil in large pot on low to medium-low heat and add: Curry powder, Garam masala, Turmeric, Cumin, Chili Flakes (adjust amount according to your heat preference:)
- Bloom* 3 minutes or until fragrant and sizzling!
- Add: garlic, ginger, sweet onion, green pepper.
- Turn up heat medium to medium-high and cook 2-3 minutes (I added another Tbsp. of coconut oil here for flavor and to avoid things getting too dry. Keep an eye and ear out:)
- Add ¼ cup veggie broth to pan and stir up all seasonings at bottom of pan.
- Pour everything in to crock pot.
- Add: sweet potatoes, diced tomatoes, chickpeas, coconut milk.
- Sprinkle in: ½ tsp pepper, 1 Tbsp. sweetener of your choice, 2 tsp salt, dash of curry powder and garam masala.
- Give the soup a gentle stir and leave on high for 3 hours until potatoes are soft; could take up to 4 depending on how soft you like your sweet pots. If you want to cook on low, expect a 6-7 hour cook time.
- Garnish with shredded carrots and zucchini and salt & pepper as you like!
- If too spicy, you can add a dollop of plain yogurt.
*curious about blooming spices? Check out Chef Kev here https://youtu.be/l1iwOHT-21o.
And finally, Enjoy Thoroughly!!!
With love from my kitchen to yours, Amber